Right. Sunglasses . Made famous by… so many tough guys and girls. If you’re working outside and the sun is shining, then you need sunglasses. Protecting the eyes are as important as protecting, well, anything else, since we hear that going blind really isn’t any fun at all. That said, it doesn’t hurt to be able to look cool as well! So we’ve decided to pick out a few of our favorite sunglasses for this season, and present them to you. Aren’t we nice? Yes we are.
What we’ve looked at for 2012:
– Protection. UV protection, and protection from stuff that comes flyin’ at ya.
– Durability. Will they break the first time you drop, step on or sit on them, or will they hold up?
– Coolness. Well, that’s really up to you to decide, but we’ll offer up our opinion anyway.
Here are our top 5 picks for this summer’s sunglasses:
Let’s get started with a serious classic. There’s possibly no going wrong with this one if you’re in a uniform of almost any kind. They’ll serve you exceedingly well even if you aren’t in uniform, and that’s not exaggeration, that’s just fact.
- Distortion-free precision ground and polished True Color Gray glass lenses
- Eye size 52, Bridge 20, Temple 140 mm
- Bayonet temples
- Timeless classic aviator style
And hey, they’ll only cost you about $44, if you order it through the link up there or click on the image.
Oakley is another high quality manufacturer, and they shouldn’t be skipped over just because they charge a little more for their stuff than others. They’re worth it. When you add to it the CSI-ish coolness (you know what we’re talking about) of these babies, it’s definitely worth a little more cash out of pocket.
- Ultra lightweight hi modulus C5 frame material
- Wrapped, raked frame geometry with 8.75 base lens curvature for better peripheral coverage
- Patented hydrophilic Unobtainium earsocks ensure a snug, secure fit
- Plutonite lens material blocks 100% UVA, UVB, UVC and harmful blue light
- XYZ Optics for maximized clarity at all angles of vision
Cool, sleek and all business. That’s just the way we want it. Also, “Plutonite” sounds really cool when you show your boddies your new shades.
If ever there were a pair of sunglasses that meant business, these are the ones. Just have a peek at what the main features are:
- Kit includes low profile frame with high-impact lenses, microfiber cleaning cloth & storage case
- 2.2 mm thick lenses made of high impact, optical grade polycarbonate ensure visual clarity
- 100% protection from harmful UV-A, UV-B and UV-C rays
- Wrap-around design with wide field-of-view protects from light, wind and unexpected fragments
- High-impact sunglasses exceeds ANSI Z87.1-2010 and meet U.S. military ballistic impact requirements for spectacles (MIL-PRF-31013, clause 126.96.36.199)
Excellent! And all that will cost you an arm and a leg, you say? Not really… $59.99 if you click on the image or the link above… should be bearable for most, really.
Also, these won’t bend or break the first time you accidentally sit on them. Not the second or third time either.
Right. If you’d like the Stargate look, or something a little Riddick-like, then these are for you. The specs are about as impressive as the look of them:
- Certification: MIL-V-43511C BALLISTIC / ANSI Z87.1-2003 high velocity
- Frame Color: Black
- Frame Material: Nylon
- Frame RX Ready: Yes
- Lens Coatings: UV/Fog
- Lens Color: Smoke/Clear
- Lens Material: Polycarbonate
- Lenses Interchangeable: Yes
- Storage: Hard Case/ Nylon Bag
Need we say more? Okay, here’s a little more:
“U.S. Military Special Forces and Law Enforcement agencies needed the ultimate, shatterproof eye gear. And so, 20 years ago, Wiley X was born. We began by creating shatterproof, selenite, polycarbonate lenses. In fact, some models have been tested to withstand a 12 gauge shotgun blast from 10 yards away.”
Right. So your sunglasses will survive, but you’ll need to find something more if you still want the rest of your face…
Right. Last on our list for now, and they only make it because of the name. There’s really not much more to them, but they certainly look good. That said, you should probably take a look at the list below before you shell out $140 for them…
- Plastic frame
- Plastic lens
- 100% UV protection coating
- Lens width: 70 millimeters
- Lens height: 45 millimeters
- Bridge: 15 millimeters
- Arm: 120 millimeters
- Case included
- Made in China
So… yeah. If you’re all about the looks, then by all means, go for these. They’ll block out the nasty-rays, but that’s about it as well. These China-made plastic thingies will break the second you even think about sitting on them ( or shooting them with a shotgun) and you’ll be out a 140 bucks.
That’s it for sunglasses, people! Check back, ’cause we’ll be doing posts on cool gear from underwear to body armor!