Armored Vehicle Overview 1 – Chevrolet Suburban
The Chevy Suburban is a very popular vehicle when it comes to usage as an armored protective measure. Its size, the availability of powerful engine options and the simple design and manufacture standards makes it easy to modify and still keep the original appearance, in order to make it stand out less than say, a tank.
Below are the usual specs of an armored Chevrolet Suburban, and some examples of how it might look.
- Five side armoring of passenger compartment (roof and verticals) to provide protection against 7.62x51mm, M80 NATO Ball ammunition in accordance with NIJ-STD-0108.01 Level III, at zero degree obliquity angles.
- Floor of the vehicle is fitted with a blast protection to protect occupants against fragmentation from simultaneous detonation of 2 DM-51 German ordnance hand grenades or equivalent.
- Vehicleâ€™s armor plates are stitch-welded using high-intensity MIG welders. The above process ensures the structural integrity is uncompromised by thermal and chemical variations of the material.
- Ballistic steel interior frame provides overlap and backup protection for the large-surface principal impact areas such as the doors and windows. All door/window openings are overlapped.
- Vehicle armoring constructed in such a way as to ensure that a projectile following a linear or angled path shall not enter the vehicleâ€™s interior without contacting the armor material. In addition to this, the possibility of a projectile entering the vehicleâ€™s interior due to a ricochet from the armor shall also be minimized.
- Ballistic steel is US Department of State approved Clifton Steel USA and Armox 600 including the Ballistic Glass from Issoclima Italy – USD State Department recommended and approved.
Most armorers and modification services have standard accessories and safety options – if you are looking for a fully equipped armored Suburban, these points should be adressed as well;
- Hutchinson or similar runflat devices fitted in all vehiclesâ€™ tires, including spare.
- Steel-case fuel tank protection
- Vehicle battery and ECM armor protection
- Engine bay flank armor protection
- Driver side power-operated window
- Large door frame overlaps
- Heavy Duty door hinges, designed and manufactured for extended longevity and easier maintenance
- Reinforced door pillars and posts, Heavy Duty door travel retainers.
- Concealed firing ports located in rear passenger doors window area.
- Suspension components are reinforced as necessary to compensate for additional weight of the vehicle (may vary due to optional equipment installed on the vehicle)
- All manuals and written information provided by vehicle manufacturer is included.